Boys Glynn Academy Football · Terrors give up 51, fall big to Camden

By Kevin Price

For GCS Athletics

The Glynn Academy Red Terrors couldn’t stop Camden County Friday night as the Wildcats clicked to a 51-17 victory over the Terrors at Glynn County Stadium in a non-region game between the schools.

The 51 points were the most surrendered by a GA team coached by Hidalgo who became the school’s head coach before the 2014 season. Prior to Friday night, the most points the Terrors had given up under Coach Rock was 42 in the state semifinal loss at Lee County in 2017 and the quarterfinals loss to Northside in 2016.

When Hidalgo was head coach at Walton from 2009 through 2013 before coming to Glynn, the Raiders never gave up 50 points in game. Thus, the Wildcats became the first team to hit the 50-point mark against a team with Hidalgo as the head coach.

A Glynn Academy team had not given up 50 or more points in a game since Oct. 4, 2003 when the Terrors lost 55-6 at Bradwell Institute. That Glynn team finished the season 2-8.

Following Friday’s lop-sided defeat, the Glynn coach told reporters in postgame

GA coach Rocky Hidalgo watches in frustration from the sideline. (Photos by Mike Brinson Photography)

interviews that he was embarrassed by the way the Terrors are playing defense right now.

“We can’t beat anyone if we’re not gonna play good defense,” he said.  “It’s embarrassing the way we are playing.”

In the last three games, the Terrors (2-3) have given up a combined 121 points. They surrendered 35 when they outscored Wayne County two weeks ago and allowed 35 again last week in a loss to Ware County before giving up the 51 to the Wildcats on Friday.

Camden (6-0) finished with 516 yards to 300 by Glynn. The Wildcats passed for 283 yards and ran for 233. Senior quarterback Logan Watson was 19-of-28 passing with five touchdown passes. Daryl Williams led Camden with 125 yards on the ground.

“It’s not due to a lack of talent or ability, and we haven’t forgotten how to coach the last seven months,” Hidalgo said while talking about Glynn’s lack of defense. “People have to learn to do the things they are coached to do and not keep making the same mistakes. We’re handcuffed right now. We don’t have anyone else to put in. Maybe we should just put the young kids in. Maybe, they will at least do things the right way which is important.

“We need to have people who are willing to do something different, but we keep making the same mistakes. We rep things, coach it, and come into the game and don’t do it. We practiced better this week, but then it’s the same thing in the game as last week. I guess we’ve done a terrible job of coaching these kids to play defense.”

Camden certainly took advantage of Glynn’s defensive struggles as it reached the 50-point mark for the second this season. The Wildcats also busted 50 when they held off Wren (S.C) 52-44 in the second game of the season. The Wildcats have scored 47 points or more in four of their wins thus far.

Watson’s five TD passes against the Terrors tied a school record he already held with former Camden quarterback Brice Ramsey.

Watson threw three scoring passes before halftime to senior receiver Chamar Roberts and tossed two more in the second half.

Watson’s first TD pass to Roberts covered 26 yards as Camden quickly moved 80 yards to score on the game’s opening possession. The two hooked up again on a 15-yard scoring pass early in the second quarter to finish off a 12-play, 98 yard drive and put Camden ahead 14-3. Earlier in that drive, Watson put a pass on the money to a receiver for a 21-yard gain and a first down at the Camden 37 on a third-and-9 play from the 16.

Watson and Roberts teamed up again on the final play of the first half when Watson launched a bomb that Roberts caught while surrounded by Glynn defenders just inside the end zone for a 33-yard score that gave the Wildcats a 31-10 halftime lead.

Camden raced away from Glynn in the final two-plus minutes of the opening half after the Terrors had pulled within 14-10 early in the second stanza on a 37-yard TD pass from TJ Lewis to Nevarius Williams.

The Wildcats went up 17-10 with 2:19 left before intermission on a field goal.

Glynn would give the ball right back to Camden on an interception, and on its first play from the GA 25-yard line, Camden gave the ball to Williams who ripped off a 25-yard TD run as he knifed through the middle of the Glynn defense.

GA then ran three plays and had to punt to Camden which took over at its own 19 with only 20 seconds remaining until the halftime break. On Camden’s first snap, Watson kept the ball for 48 yards to the Glynn 33 and the Wildcats called timeout with nine seconds to go. Following an incomplete pass, Camden still had time for one more play, and that’s when Watson connected with Roberts a third time for a touchdown that was a big-time back-breaker for the Terrors.

Before going into the locker room at the break, Hidalgo held court with his coaches and was clearly animated as they met in the end zone.

After halftime, Glynn did come out moving the ball better and scored on an 80-yard sprint by Nolan Grant early in the third period. Grant finished with 121 yards rushing.

“We didn’t strain any in the first half. They pushed us around up front, and we pushed them around in the second half which tells me we didn’t give much effort in the first half,” said Hidalgo who chewed out his offense at halftime, too.

Still, the Terrors couldn’t slow down the Camden offense. Watson threw a 9-yard TD pass to Caleb Keaton on Camden’s first possession after halftime following a Glynn interception on its side of the field.

Late in the third, Watson threw a TD pass of 11 yards to Michael Wanca that made it 44-17.

Camden’s last score came early in the fourth quarter on a 15-yard run by Keaton to close a 71-yard drive.

The extra-point was good and Camden had its 51 points, much to Hidalgo’s chagrin.

“We went for it on fourth down the whole night, and I told the kids I won’t punt again the rest of the season if we don’t start playing some defense around this place,” the GA coach said emphatically. “I’ll just go for it and kick onside kicks. I’d rather get beat 70 to nothing than come out here and just have no chance to win a game because we’re not going to do the things we were coached to do on defense.”

The Terrors will have this week to ponder things as they don’t play this coming Friday. Glynn returns to action on Oct. 18 when it goes to Richmond Hill for its Region 2-AAAAAA opener.